“AROUND THE WORLD”
Sunday’s opening reception brought artists and visitors together to see a wide-ranging exhibition of art from “Around the World” at the Art Center.
Members provided a lavish spread of cuisine from around the world, and reflecting Valentine’s Day. The show is exhibited through March 4.
February 12 Meeting
A thank you to Shari MacFarlane, who brought her alcohol inks to our meeting last week. She shared a wealth of ideas and techniques using this exciting medium to create a myriad of brilliant images.
Next meeting is March 12 with Jan Ponder demonstrating her encaustic techniques.
The Beauty of Flora And Fauna
Our exhibit is in place at Green Spring Garden until February 19. Plan to stop by and enjoy the wonderful presentation by our VAS members. A Reception was held Sunday, January 8 from 1PM to 3PM.
Please note the take down time on your calendars:
Take down is Monday February 20th, only between 12:30 and 1:30 pm. The park will be closed the rest of the day.
Congratulations are in order for all the artists whose entries were noted for this show. Judge Susan Herron was very impressed with the quality of the art in the show. She was present for the reception on January 8th to present the awards and gave more of her impressions of the show and the winners.
1st Place – Grace Rooney – Marsh Mates – Watercolor on Yupo
2nd Place – Betty Ganley Dappled Light – Watercolor
3rd Place – Helen Dilly Barsalou – Canyon Snows – Watercolor
Stephen Gawarecki –Thorn Tree in Fog – Digital Photography
Carol Higgs – Mountain Majesty Watercolor
Patricia Deege – Lotus in Hiding – Photography
Ruth Ensley – The Owl and the Pussy Cat – Batik
Duncan Whitaker – Sunflower in Black and White – Photography
Anita Epstein– Sun Drenched – Watercolor
Carolyn Grosse’ Gawarecki – Marsh Heron – Watercolor
Vivian Attermeyer – The Field – Watercolor
Dore’ Skidmore – Flotsam and Jetsam – Mixed Media
Patrick Henry Library Winter Exhibition December 12 to March 13
Members have filled the Patrick Henry Library with dozens of original artworks, a few featuring the promise of spring! A few pieces are at the Front Desk, but most are in the Community Room. Drop by the Information Desk to request the catalogue, and a staff member will unlock the door so you can see it when a meeting is not taking place there.
Healing Wall and Children’s Inn at NIH : Members are invited to sign up soon on the clipboard at the Art Center to work with troops on the mend at Fort Belvoir Community Hospital and to bring art projects to kids recovering at the Children’s Inn
Be sure to check On the Horizon and the Continuing Shows under other menu items on. his website for more information and deadlines.
Also see new postings for VAS Classes & Workshops. Lassie Corbett has many fun offerings.
- Yoshiko Doherty’s “White Onions” sold at Green Spring Gardens
- Hanna Emrich’s “Thistle” sold at Green Spring Gardens
- Stephen Gawarecki’s ” Reality and Beyond” sold at Green Spring Gardens
- Carol Higg’s “Sienna Wood” sold at Green Spring Gardens
- Sandy Olszowy’s “The Might Oak” sold at Green Spring Gardens
- Sandy Olszowy’s “Old Gnarly” sold at Green Spring Gardens
- Patricia Deege’s Photograph “Lotus in Hiding” sold at Green Spring Gardens
- Carl Landow’s Watercolor “LightHouse” sold at the Art Center
- Lassie Corbett’s Acrylic “Fossil Display” sold at Katibeh Art Gallery
- Elaine Wainwrights’s Alcohol ink painting was sold at the Art Center
- Susan Scanlon’s Watercolor ” Tribute” was sold at the Art Center
- Grace Rooney’s Watercolor “Taking a Break” was sold at the Art Center
- Elaine Wainwrights’ Alcohol Ink ” Ocean Songs” at the Art Center
- Dore Skidmore’s Wood Carving “Lady Luck” was sold at the Art Center.
- Ruth Ensleys’ Watercolor “Tai-Chi-Ken” was sold at the Village Green Art Gallery
- Lassie Corbett’s Oil Painting “Royal Style” was sold at the Art Center
- Lassie Corbett’s Collage/Acrylic ” Black Mountains ” was sold at the Art Center